As part of my burst of energy for needlepoint, I completed all three squares of split gobelin on Sunday. My wrist was a little sore by the time I finished, but it was worth it.
My first square, done according to directions, is kind of dull. I don't particularly like this stitch.
Adding additional colours in my second square made this stitch a little more interesting. Ms. Slater says in the book that this is a good stitch for the gradations in a sunset.
I decided to get adventurous with my third square. It's colourful and full of movement. This stitch really shows if one messes it up and if one doesn't catch it right away, it's nearly impossible to fix. You can see in the far right column, 4th from bottom (dark orange) where I didn't split a stitch with the dark green above it. By the time I realized how obvious this was, I would have had to remove a few rows. With this stitch, one can't just cut a thread or two around the error and restitch, everything above must be pulled out. Not wanting to remove the entire far right column, I decided to leave it as-is.
Overall, as I stated above, I don't really like this stitch. I will use it on a few more samplers to see if it grows on me. Maybe if I try a sunset.